Saturday 28 July 2012

Old habits die hard; new films start soon.

Along with having my name in print, I now have a confirmed start date for my new role in The Day. Until then, I've decided to brush up on some of my old skills. 

Being in possession of 4 guitars of all shapes and sizes back from when I took lessons, as well as desperate to keep up with my ridiculously dedicated and adept guitar-playing boyfriend, I've made an executive decision to say goodbye to my long nails and hello to my old six-stringed friend. In a past life, I played lead guitar at several school concerts, 'battle of the bands', Manchester Art Gallery and a charity gig at Manchester's Band on the Wall in aid of the Haiti appeal. Not having properly played my Tanglewood, Fender or Yamaha in over two years, I think it's high time I polished that item on my CV. I'm doing 20 minutes' practice a day to begin with; tonight I strummed my way through Karma Police, The Drugs Don't Work and There Goes the Fear. We'll see how long this pursuit lasts without the discipline of a teacher.

Me playing my boyfriend's guitar in his old flat.
The most exciting news this week is that there seem to have been real steps in the pre-production of The Day; the film in which I am to play the protagonist's wife. The director tells me that the official start date for filming will be 25th August - less than a month away! This doesn't mean I will start filming then - I'm awaiting confirmation of when I'm needed. I hear some of my costume has already been bought; a first in my experience of film-making (usually I double up as wardrobe co-ordinator). Exciting still, the film's director has kindly agreed to help me to make a showreel once my scenes are filmed. Once I have those, my copy of The Wedding Dress and another of my films, The Mirror Group, I hope I'll have at least 2 minutes' worth of material to showcase my abilities. Irritatingly, however, the one film in which I played the lead was - as I understand it - deleted off the computer system it was transferred to. Fortunately, 2012 has turned out to be a blessing film-wise, and I'm more than happy with everything that's come of these projects so far.

A teaser for 'The Day', featuring my name on the top row.


No comments:

Post a Comment