Wednesday 11 July 2012

Silver Linings

Question: would you rather A) take a road-trip up to your cousin's idyllic, picturesque farm for a mid-week getaway to enjoy nothing but fields, fresh air and sheep, or B) wait in all day until an evening audition on the other side of the city for a part that doesn't really sound up your street?    


Option 'A' is of course what I'd had planned for next week, in an effort to break up the monotony and frustration of summer home life. The possibility of auditions is, clearly, always good news. As young performers, we really can't afford to be picky with these things; I can't complain about being out of work if I never go for the positions offered. However, this casting call requests a 'trophy' girlfriend type with a 'loud personality'. Not exactly my forte. That said, I did once play a raunchy burlesque performer in Feydeau's The Lady From Maxim's, so who knows? 

The only thing that bothers me about this, really, is the timing: I'm going half insane living in my parents' house whilst the majority of my friends seem to be abroad, so I figured a small retreat up North might do me some good - cruelly, the two audition days happened to be the only days I was free to do this (and my under-26s railcard was still in date).

Anyone else sometimes find themselves in situations such as this?

To finish, I'll illustrate my mild upset with a picture of my cousin's beautiful farm:

No comments:

Post a Comment